Travel restrictions may be keeping us grounded, but millions of feathered travellers are flying across Canada’s borders with the return of spring. These jet setters don’t need to stay in approved hotels, and we can safely enjoy the sights and concerts they bring to our neighbourhoods. You’re invited to explore the world of birds during these upcoming celebrations! Most of the events are virtual and free.
Blackburnian Warbler photo: Arni Stinnissen
Toronto Bird Celebration
The Toronto Bird Celebration is on from May to July, offering a range of activities to people in Toronto and beyond to take advantage of the wonders of spring.
The Celebration includes free online sessions for a range of audiences, including new and experienced birders, families, and people with disabilities. Don’t miss:
- A featured presentation by “The Urban Birder”, David Lindo, on how to connect with birds in cities
- A panel discussion on how to engage with birds if you have a disability
- Creative writing workshops with Julia Zarankin
- Science communication with a focus on birds with Rosemary Mosco
See the full event schedule. You can also follow #TOBirdParty on Twitter and Instagram for updates!
With the “Celebirdies” contest on social media, bird lovers in the GTA have the chance to win prizes by sharing their bird photo on social media. See the contest rules for details on out how to enter. Winners of the random draw will receive packages with prizes like Owls of the Eastern Ice by Jonathan C. Slaght, Kanken Backpacks from Fjällräven, and Firefly Books.
We invite you to connect with the Bird Champions that make the Toronto Bird Celebration a reality: TD Friends for the Environment, Pattison Outdoor, Armstrong Bird Food, and Acart Communications. Also the sponsors that make these free and delightful events possible: Kowa Optics, Fjällräven, Quest Nature Tours, and Firefly Books. Thank you for this generous support! – Andrés Jiménez, Birds Canada
Anna’s Hummingbird photo: Liron Gertsman
Vancouver Bird Celebration
Get ready to celebrate all things avian! Vancouver Bird Celebration is back for our 10th anniversary from May 8-16. While we may be sticking close to home, spring migration is bringing our favourite seasonal visitors right to us. Learn about them all through webinars, workshops, talks, and other activities led by bird enthusiasts across the region. No matter your experience level – from expert bird nerd to casually curious – there is sure to be something for you to enjoy! Don’t miss:
- Inspired by Birds, a panel exploring how inspiration from birds can take many different forms, with Stanley Park Ecology Society
- Meet BC Birds of Prey with O.W.L. (Orphaned Wildlife) Rehabilitation Society
- Celebrating Birds of the Fraser River Basin with ornithologist, author, filmmaker, and artist Dr. Rob Butler, hosted by Fraser River Discovery Centre
Be sure to check out our website for the full list of events and follow us on social media for updates! Happy birding. – Alyx Coulter, Stanley Park Ecology Society
Facebook: @Vancouver Bird Celebration