2021-2022 Calendar Photo Contest
We want to see your photos and hear your stories!
Our calendar is a celebration of Canada’s wild birds. We invite photographers from across the country to submit their artwork. Whether you are an amateur, a professional or a young person who has just encountered your spark bird, we want to see your photos!
Grab your camera and share the birds you see in your backyard, favourite birding location, or while participating in one of Birds Canada’s Citizen Science projects.
The 2021-22 Calendar Photo Contest will be launching June 1 and running until July 9, 2021. Contest winners will be featured in our 2021-22 Calendar, they will receive 3 copies of the calendar and will receive a one-year subscription to BirdWatch Canada. The approximate value of the prize is $100.
We aim to showcase a wide variety of species, habitats and locations across the country to celebrate the diversity of Canada’s wild birds. And this year, we’re introducing three photo categories to highlight our programs and some young photographers. We are looking for photographs from the following categories:
- Best Common Loon Photo
- Best Feeder-Bird Photo
- Best Photo by a Young Photographer (Under 19)
- Birds from across the country! We want this calendar to represent you and the birds you are helping to conserve.
We look forward to seeing all your beautiful photographs and sharing the top choices with you soon!
** Please also note that we have chosen to not include photos of owls in our calendar. We know that most of our supporters practice responsible owl observation and photography, but we also know that owl species are subjected to harmful or even deadly disturbance by people every day. In an effort to discourage unethical photography practices and to help owl populations survive and thrive in the wild, we will not include photos of owls in the calendar.
Honourable Mentions from 2020-2021
by Larry Kirtley
by Mark Peck
by Caroline Lambert
by Paul Jones
by Jax Nasimok
by Doug Giles
by Peter Hawrylyshyn
by Robert Ferguson
by Nick Saunders
by Jorge Sanz
by Jax Nasimok
by Peter Hawrylyshyn
Photo Submission Form
Birds Canada Photo Use Agreement
1. This Photograph Use Agreement is for the specific photograph voluntarily supplied by the Photographer to Birds Canada through birdscanada.org/calendar. The Photographer retains copyright to the Photograph(s).
2. The Photographer grants to Birds Canada a fully paid, royalty-free, licence, in perpetuity, to publish and use the Photograph(s), in whole or in part, for the purposes of inclusion in Birds Canada materials, including but not limited to, web-based materials and products, and printed materials and products, such as, but not limited to, BirdWatch Canada and other educational and promotional pamphlets and publications. This agreement in no way prohibits the Photographer from providing the photograph to others for their use, or prohibits the Photographer from using the photograph for the Photographer’s own purposes.
3. The Photographer agrees to allow Birds Canada to modify the image for use if required, including, but not limited to, cropping, changes to contrast, brightness and colour saturation, removal of distracting elements and sharpening.
4. The Photographer warrants that:
a) the Photographer is the sole author and sole owner of the copyright in the Photograph(s);
b) the Photograph(s) is (are) an original work, and not copied from another work;
c) no intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties have been infringed in the making of the Photograph(s), or in the entering into of this Photograph Use Agreement.
5. The Photographer agrees to release, discharge and to save harmless Birds Canada, its representatives, assigns, employees and agents, from any liability as a result of the publication or distribution of the photograph, in whole or in part.
6. Birds Canada agrees to credit the Photographer by including the Photographer’s name as indicated herein, adjacent to the published photograph. Photographer’s name to be credited shall appear as entered in the photo submission in the following format: species_date_photographer first name – last name (e.g., commonmurre_may2020_Jared-Clarke).
How to Enter
The contest will be open from June 1, 2021 at 12:00 a.m. EST to July 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST. You can submit your photos at birdscanada.ca/calendar.
Your entry must include your first and last name, the species featured in your photograph and the location and date the photograph was taken. Photo files for photos submitted on the website should appear in the following format: species_date_photographer first name – last name (e.g., commonmurre_may2020_Jared-Clarke).
Entrants must agree to the Birds Canada Photo Use Agreement in order to be considered.
The winners will be selected by the judging panel and approved by a team of Birds Canada staff.
A Note About Ethical Photography Practices
Birds Canada encourages all birders and bird photographers to prioritize the wellbeing of birds and their habitats while enjoying your pursuits in nature. Giving birds the space they need to comfortably go about their natural behaviours is one way we can help them survive, thrive, and raise young, so that we can all continue to enjoy their presence into the future. If you notice a bird reacting to your presence, back away until it resumes what it was doing before or leave the area and take your photo another day. For more information on best practices for viewing and photographing birds please read the Code of Birding Ethics at birdscanada.org.