Birds Canada is seeking to fill positions on our Board of Directors. Birds Canada is directed by a volunteer board of up to sixteen (16) Directors who have the oversight and responsibility for the organization. This includes governance, leading, developing, and approving the strategic direction of Birds Canada, and establishing appropriate governance and risk management strategies to promote the mission, protect of the assets, and sustain long-term growth and viability.
We recruit a small number of new Board members each year. We are excited to review all applications. Those not retained for the present round will be considered to fill future vacancies.
Benefits to Applicants:
- Board experience and leadership development
- Professional development and enrichment
- Network growth and opportunities with others who share a commitment to conservation and nature
- Making a real difference for birds and biodiversity
- Acting as conscientious ambassadors who advocate for Birds Canada’s mission and garner support from the community
- Fundraising, relationship building, and willingness to activate one’s network
- Approving and monitoring operating budget, capital budget, and endowment funds
- Approving and monitoring organizational strategy
- Identifying, appointing, and evaluating the President & CEO
- Monitoring the organization’s performance (overseeing the conduct of the business of the organization)
- Overseeing risk management
- Representing Birds Canada at events, as required
- Attending and participating in Board of Director meetings (three per year, two virtual and one in-person in Canada), including reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to meetings and engaging in meaningful discussions
- Participating on at least one Board Committee (two to five meetings virtual per year)
- Board members will serve a term of three years and are eligible for renewal for an additional three-year term.
We are seeking Board members with qualifications and/or previous experience in the following areas:
- Serving on a non-profit, community-based board, and/or committee would be an asset
- Passionate about bird conservation and the Birds Canada mission
- Charity law
- Indigenous leadership and engagement
- Business leadership
- Science communications
- Marketing, communications, and / or public relations
- Public policy
On an ongoing basis, we strive for a Board that is representative of Canada. We encourage applications from all interested candidates. This year, we are particularly striving to build representation from regions other than Ontario, as well as increasing our representation of women and BIPOC members.
Apply before March 31st, 2023 by sending a cover letter, plus either CV or URL link to an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not interested, but know someone who would be a great match? Share this opportunity with them.
About Birds Canada
Birds Canada is the country’s only national organization dedicated to bird conservation. Our mission is to drive action to increase the understanding, appreciation, and conservation of birds in Canada. Every day, our thousands of caring donors, 75+ passionate staff, and 74,000+ outstanding volunteers are taking action to help us better understand, appreciate, and conserve birds and there habitats. Find out more at birdscanada.org.